What Is Considered Distracted Driving?

Distracted Driving

Distracted driving has become a major concern on the roads today, leading to numerous accidents and fatalities every year. But what exactly is considered distracted driving?

1. Types of Distractions

Three main types of distractions can lead to distracted driving: visual, manual, and cognitive. Visual distractions occur when drivers take their eyes off the road, such as looking at a phone or adjusting the radio. Manual distractions involve taking your hands off the wheel, like reaching for something in the backseat or eating while driving. Cognitive distractions occur when a driver's mind is not entirely focused on driving, such as daydreaming or having an intense conversation with a passenger.

2. Common Examples of Distracted Driving

Some common examples of distracted driving include texting or talking on the phone while driving, eating or drinking behind the wheel, adjusting the GPS or radio controls, applying makeup, and even talking to passengers in a way that takes your focus off the road. These seemingly innocent activities can have serious consequences if they cause you to lose focus on your surroundings.

3. The Dangers of Distracted Driving

Distracted driving poses serious risks to yourself and other drivers and pedestrians on the road. Studies have shown that texting while driving increases your risk of being involved in a crash by up to 23 times! Even just taking your eyes off the road for a few seconds can have devastating consequences. It only takes a moment for an accident to happen when you are not paying full attention to the task.

4. How to Avoid Distracted Driving

Staying focused on the road at all times is essential to avoid distracted driving. This means putting away your phone, eating before you get behind the wheel, setting your GPS destination before driving and limiting intense conversations with passengers. If you need to attend to something urgently while driving, find a safe place to pull over first. Remember that no text or phone call is worth risking your life or someone else's.

Traverse City Distracted Driving Accident Attorneys

At Miller Embury PLLC, we understand the devastating impact of distracted driving on lives and communities. Our team of experienced attorneys in Traverse City, Michigan, is dedicated to supporting victims of distracted driving accidents. If you or a loved one has been affected by a distracted driving incident, we are here to help you navigate the legal process and fight for the compensation you deserve. Contact us today at (888) 224-1239 to learn more about our personal injury services and how we can assist you in your time of need. 

Share To:

Frequently Asked Questions

Have questions? We are here to help. Still have questions or can't find the answer you need? Give us a call at 888-224-1239 today!

  • If a dog bites me, do I have a claim against the dog's owner?
    Yes. Under Michigan law, a dog owner must pay the damages caused by their dog biting someone. This is true even if the dog never exhibited any vicious or violent tendencies prior to the biting incident. Normally, the dog owner's homeowner's insurance carrier will pay the injured person's damages.
  • If I am involved in a boating accident, can I bring a lawsuit against the negligent boat operator?
    Yes. Boating accidents are more common than one might think, especially in Northern Michigan. Much like car accidents, an injured party is entitled to bring a lawsuit against a negligent boat operator. The same is also true if you are a passenger in a boat. You can bring a lawsuit against the boat operator if you are injured as a passenger. Like all personal injury actions, there are specific time limitations that could bar your claim. If you are involved in a boating accident and have sustained an injury, you should contact our firm immediately.
  • If I'm injured at work, what insurance benefits are provided by workers' compensation?
    If you are injured at work, the law requires your employer's workers' compensation insurance carrier to provide you with the following insurance benefits: 
    -The insurance company must pay all of your medical bills.
    -The insurance company must pay your wage loss if you cannot return to work. 
    -The insurance company must reimburse you for the miles you drive to and from your doctors' appointment.
    -The insurance company must pay to retrain you for a different job in the event you are injured so severely that you can never return to your job.
  • If I slip and fall on someone's property or within a store, can I recover damages for injuries I suffered?
    Yes, but only if the landowner was somehow negligent. Unlike auto cases where insurance benefits are provided regardless of fault, in premises liability cases, you must prove negligence to recover damages suffered in a slip-and-fall accident.
  • If I'm in a car accident, can I sue the at-fault driver for my vehicle damage?
    No, except for recovering up to $3000. Generally you cannot recover more than $3000 from the at-fault driver for your vehicle damage. This $3000 recovery is called a "mini-tort." In other words, even if the other driver is negligent and is 100% at fault for causing the crash, you can usually only recover $3000 for vehicle damage. This is why it is so important to purchase collision coverage for your vehicle through your own auto insurance company. If you have purchased collision coverage, your own auto insurance company will pay to repair the vehicle damage.
  • How long after an auto accident do I have to pursue a claim against the at-fault driver?
    Generally, you must file a claim against the at-fault driver within three years after the accident. However, there are exceptions and variations to this rule. You should contact our attorneys as soon as possible after an accident to discuss the issue.
  • If I am injured in a car accident, may I file a claim against the driver who caused the collision even though I have "no-fault"
    Yes. Michigan law permits an injured party to file a claim against a negligent driver. This type of claim is often referred to as a "third-party lawsuit." Under Michigan law, an injured party is entitled to bring a third-party lawsuit for non-economic damages (i.e., pain and suffering) if the injured person has suffered either: a serious injury, a serious and permanent disfigurement, or death. Additionally, in a third-party case you must prove that someone other than yourself was at-fault for causing the accident.
  • If I am injured in a car accident, and I am at fault for causing the accident, am I still entitled to receive insurance benefits
    Yes. Michigan is a "no-fault" auto insurance state. This means you receive insurance benefits even if you were at fault for causing the accident.
  • If I am injured in a car accident and don't have health insurance, will my car insurance company pay my medical bills?

    What about other things such as lost wages if I am unable to work?

    Most likely, yes.  Most auto insurance policies sold in Michigan provide “personal protection insurance” (PIP) benefits.  Under this PIP coverage, your car insurer must pay all of your accident-related medical bills up to the coverage limit amount.  Your auto insurer must also pay your wage loss if you cannot return to work.  It must pay up to $20 a day for someone to do your household chores if you are injured and cannot do them.  It must also pay “attendant care” benefits if you need supervision or nursing-type care because of your injuries.  After the 2019 amendments to the no-fault law, some drivers are allowed to opt out of purchasing PIP coverage.  However, most policies sold in the state still provide at least some PIP coverage.

  • If I am involved in a car accident, do I need to speak with an attorney?
    Yes. To begin, most attorneys will provide you with a free consultation, so it won't cost you anything to discuss your case. There are three reasons why you should speak to an attorney after an auto accident.